 General / 12170
Re: using "lego" in domain names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:38:12 GMT

Adrian Drake <tremor@apk.net> wrote:
I assume that TLC frowns greatly upon people using "lego" in domain names,
don't they?  Like ilovelego.com or everybodywantslego.com, etc.  I just
need a little clarification, since I don't think I've ever seen a fan page
with lego in the domain.

Yes, Lego doesn't like this. It's possible, although unclear, that they may
even have a legal basis for saying so. It's fairly clear to me at least that
they _shouldn't_ have a legal basis:

Traditional trademarks are limited both in geographical scope and by classes
of goods and services. And, it's generally been historically difficult to
violate trademark law if you're not being malicious and you're not selling
something. But, there's NO WAY by looking at a "Big 3" (.com, .org, .net)
domain name for one to tell what class the goods or services (if any!)
provided by that website are, or where the organization represented
operates.

I still believe that trademarks are fine, and that trademark rights
violation isn't a good thing. But it should be determined by the content of
the web page, NOT by its address.

Why is this such a big issue? Consider that almost every common word in the
English language (language is another complication, btw) is trademarked by
someone or other. In fact, the letter "Q" is trademarked by Paramount. If
it's impossible to use any trademarks in a domain name, only random
sequences of numbers would be allowed!

The simple fact is that vastly extending current trademark law to allow it
to dominate the domain namespace is a terrible idea. The proper solution for
companies who want to have their trademarks respected online is _education_,
not ridiculous rules, or -- and I hope the justice system has more sense
than this -- laws.

So, I think that Lego's policy isn't very well considered. But in the end,
out of respect for them, I think it's generally a good idea to follow their
wishes on this subject. (When it comes to domain names at least. I
definitely would draw the line at hostnames.)

[followup to lugnet.off-topic.geek]