 Dear LEGO / 5470
Re: Where Have All the Studs Gone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:15:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Ross Crawford wrote:

Again, you assert that studless are less versatile without providing anything to back that up. My bet is soon there will be a whole generation of LEGO users that wonder how Technic builders ever built with those pesky studded bricks. And we are in a unique position to be able to show them 8?)

My assertion about the relative merits of studded/studless beams would not have an easy proof, but it might make interesting fodder for the .technic newsgroup. (Congratulations on your new curatorship, BTW!) I welcome the opportunity to continue this discussion in .technic, where we might all benefit from learning some new building techniques.

Indeed, and I believe it already has been touched on there. And I believe any discussion of your assertion will end without consensus, as I believe there is little if any advantage either way. I still prefer using mostly studded bricks, but my collection and use of studless seems to be slowly increasing...

   I don’t really think they care either way - they’ve already made their money on parts listed there. But that’s a whole different question.

This is a whole different question, and perhaps would be better taken up in .marketplace.theory. But as food for thought, I think they do (or at least should) care whether LEGO hobbyists are driven to take advantage of the market efficiencies provided by BrickLink.

To clarify my comment, I don’t think they are tremendously interested where LEGO hobbyists buy their parts. Their main focus has always been kids, and I don’t think there’s any danger of Bricklink making any kind of major inroad there. The proportion of sales that AFOLs represent has been discussed many times before.

   Actually, “where have all the studs gone” is a pretty close paraphrase of the question I posed to the people at LEGO Retail.

Yes, but not a useful question to pose (in isolation) to LEGO store management (or lugnet.dear-lego) when trying to point out the failings of their staff.

ROSCO