 Dear LEGO / 5468
Re: Where Have All the Studs Gone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:35:48 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Chris Phillips wrote:
   But I wonder why all the smooth surfaces? Why is there no way to attach a standard LEGO brick directly to the NXT or any of its sensors? Why can’t a LEGO employee in a store which presumably has every currently-available set in their product line show me a set that has any quantity of a once-common and very useful part?

This is not “whinging”, these are reasonable questions.

Indeed they are, but the answer as I see it has been touched upon many times before - the LEGO system is constantly changing. It has always been changing, I don’t see many sets with these or these in them any more.

   I know how to build with non-studded beams, and I even think the straight studless beam can be a very useful part. Just not as versatile as studded beams, which are getting hard to find in my experience.

Again, you assert that studless are less versatile without providing anything to back that up. My bet is soon there will be a whole generation of LEGO users that wonder how Technic builders ever built with those pesky studded bricks. And we are in a unique position to be able to show them 8?)

My assertion about the relative merits of studded/studless beams would not have an easy proof, but it might make interesting fodder for the .technic newsgroup. (Congratulations on your new curatorship, BTW!) I welcome the opportunity to continue this discussion in .technic, where we might all benefit from learning some new building techniques.

   Does TLG really want to send my business to bricklink?

I don’t really think they care either way - they’ve already made their money on parts listed there. But that’s a whole different question.

This is a whole different question, and perhaps would be better taken up in .marketplace.theory. But as food for thought, I think they do (or at least should) care whether LEGO hobbyists are driven to take advantage of the market efficiencies provided by BrickLink. As you said elsewhere...

   Either way, the question “Where Have All the Studs Gone?” is quite easy to answer - “Other sets!”. They are still there if you want them. Maybe that’s an even better marketing strategy by TLC - encourages Technic builders to buy lots of other sets too.

If their goal is to entice builders to buy more sets by spreading the distribution of parts across many sets, then they definitely don’t want us to use BrickLink.

   Either way, the question “Where Have All the Studs Gone?” is quite easy to answer - “Other sets!”. They are still there if you want them.

Maybe someone should tell the LEGO Retail employees where to find them, then?

Probably, but again, that’s not the question you originally asked.

Actually, “where have all the studs gone” is a pretty close paraphrase of the question I posed to the people at LEGO Retail.