 Dear LEGO / 489
Re: Help The Homeless In Legoville!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:20:48 GMT

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, R2 wrote:

I agree. I think if Lego would offer some standard town buildings they
would attract more girls. As well as have a happier town of minifigs. I can
build my own buildings, however the special parts would make it more
attractive.

This is what I told the guys in the PNLTC when I expressed my disgust at
pink bricks.  They asked me what LEGO should make to attract girls, and I
said "Houses, libraries, schools, that sort of thing."  Lately LEGO has
focused on action action action to the exclusion of all else, and that's
fine for young boys, but young girls tend to want stability and
commmunity.  When I was very young and first started playing with LEGO, I
gave all the wheelsets to my brothers and I built houses (and spaceships,
but that's another story).

Please don't provide more pink themes, I find it rather insulting. I beleive
that it, (the pink, Scala, Belville) provides a barrier to the other sets
rather than providing a bridge to the other sets.

Exactly.  When I first saw the pink LEGO, all I could think of was
"AHHHHHH!!!! LEGO IS GOING BARBIE!!!!  YUCK!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, pretty much those exact words, as I recall.  It's funny.  The guys
in the PNLTC have no problem collecting pink LEGO, but I won't touch them.

I think the pink is an insult to women: We can't figure out how to market
to you, so we'll just make everything pink, then you'll love it.  LEGO,
you market to girls by creating sets that girls will find fun, by showing
GIRLS in your commercials, by acknowledging that girls are every bit as
creative as boys, and don't need horrible Barbie-wannabe sets to enjoy
your product.

LEGO provides plenty of sets that are perfect for building part of the
infrastructure of a LEGO town, but only part.  There are no houses, no
stores, no libraries or schools.  And I think that's a shame.  They are
ignoring a great part of what LEGO was in the past, and in the process
cutting their audience in half.

-Laura Gjovaag
***  It wouldn't even have to be an *evil* sponge!  ***
                                  -Zan, Cartoon Network