 Dear LEGO / 496
Re: Help The Homeless In Legoville!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 23:55:45 GMT

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, R2 wrote:

Whenever I play Lego with my son I always find myself creating a "town" type
infrastructure because the house/doll playing is something that I can really
relate to.

What I find amusing is that I always thought I *couldn't* relate to dolls
and houses and such.  But when I look back at the toys I loved most: LEGO
and my Star Wars action figures.  (I couldn't play with Barbie, I hated
Barbie from a young age partly because it was too girlie, and partly
because my older sisters beat me up when I tried to play with their
dolls).  I built so many LEGO buildings as a child, and I used LEGO as the
playsets for my SW action figures.  Every year, I used a LEGO tree as the
Christmas tree that Luke and Han and Darth celebrated the season around.

Actually, ignore that last line, that's kind of embarrassing... ;)

But I considered myself a tomboy, and I detested "girl things", and the
color pink was always a representation of the worst of the "girl things"
around.

But all along, I was acting like a girl.  Creating buildings and
establishing places, as opposed to cars and vehicles and such.  And if
LEGO wants to bring in more girls, they ought to dump the dolls and focus
on girl things like houses, libraries, schools, stores, restaurants... the
list is endless.  As my initial note said, Legoville is a very boring town
without them.  The added bonus would be that boys would enjoy the sets
without the stigma of buying "girl" sets, because they'd just be regular
LEGO system, right?  Nothing to set them apart, no gender segregation.

The paradisa series was a step in the right direction, however I felt that
the pink bricks gave it a "separation" to the other sets. The series did
have some great detail and parts.

I loved the lighthouse set (Dolphin Point?) but wanted to rebuild it
without any pink.  I wasn't able to find all the pieces I needed.  Maybe I
could do it now.  They also put out a horse and corral set that had a pony
(I think) that was very cool and female friendly.  Both of those sets were
minifig scale, as I recall.  I also loved the Guarded Inn set, one of my
favorites when I came out of my mini-dark ages and started buying Castle.

The Scala and Belleville series
have some great parts, but then the scale to the regular sets are different
and they aren't "building" sets.

They are ugly sets.  They scream "GIRLS!  PLEASE BUY OUR PRODUCT!  LOOK!
WE EVEN USED PINK FOR YOU!"  Ugh.  Whatever marketing genius thought up
those sets really needs to grow a brain.  Truly hideous.

-Laura Gjovaag
Just remember, the first webmaster was female...  her first home page
said "Some Pig" and was regularly updated....
-- Paul Sawyer