 Dear LEGO / 487
Re: Help The Homeless In Legoville!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:50:48 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Rose Regner writes:

This topic came up yesterday in a conversation I had with another mother
about how Lego could attract more girls.  She suggested apartment buildings
or multiuse buildings.

Roof tiles would be a start :)  I still associate building houses with Lego
(for some reason!), if sets and part packs were available then it wouldn't just
be girls who would be enticed into the world of Lego.

Please don't provide more pink themes, I find it rather insulting. I beleive
that it, (the pink, Scala, Belville) provides a barrier to the other sets
rather than providing a bridge to the other sets.

What I think is horrid is the split between toys for the girls and toys for the
boys. Lego *used* to appeal to both sexes to a much greater extent, saying "You
girls want to play with dolls and pink things", and "You boys want Danger!
Power! Excitement!", is not only insulting - it stifles creativity.

Having a town to which you can supply your *own* imagination is a great way to
foster creativity, I think the Lego visionaries of yesteryear used to
understand that concept a lot more than the marketing types of today.

Oh - and why is Lego Friends marketed prodominately towards girls?

Is the pink-split because adults seek out stereotyped toys to give to their
children, nieces and nephews etc, rather than toys that the children would get
the most creative play from? If so then this is yet more evidence Lego has
become a market-follower rather than an innovator which is a depressing
thought.

Richard