 Dear LEGO / 3512
Re: How about "Technic Tubs" ???????????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:22:21 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, John Heins writes:
>Unfortunately it seems that the whole Technic line is moving away from the
"classic" technic format of holed rectangular beams. There are too many of
the smooth holed beams and axle/connector pieces.

Again I think this is an area where I suspect TLC is "missing the boat" in
making things too simple and ignoring the potential in the educational
market (while pursuing bizarre niches like management "team building" and such.

I think that the LEGO company is "missing the boat" big time when it comes
to promoting the educational value of their product.

For me, Dacta has always been one of the big mysteries of the company.  Why,
oh why would you take the line of products that best symbolize and showcase
your entire company and have them distributed by an outside company?  In my
mind it's sort of like Ford taking the Mustang and having it sold through
the Kia company.  They would still make the Mustangs, but if you wanted to
buy one you'd have to go to a Kia dealership.  Make any sense?  No.  Then
why do they hide their Dacta line from the general public by selling through
the mostly industry-only dealer Pitsco.  This isn't exactly a company that
advertises during Saturday morning cartoons.  So if you aren't in 'the
know', then you aren't going to find out about Dacta.

I cannot (and I'm really serious here) for any reason, imagine why a company
would be so embarassed by what is really an extraordinary product that has
so many good uses.  You can use Dacta to teach about engineering or
architecture, race cars or robots.  Try doing that with a Jack Stone set.

And FYI, even though I'm an engineer, my wife is an EVP in Marketing (for
products that have had meteoric rises and national impact).  Not to be
immodest, but SHE thinks this would be a no-brainer in brand extension,
super-appealing to the educational market - and from school exposure - great
at increasing sales to individuals.

Maybe it's time the company started looking to external sources for their
marketing/product suggestions.  Or at least they should see this comment
from your wife.  :)

The educational market, and especially the home school market, would seem to
represent huge dollars the company is missing out on.

I'm sure internally there's some reason for keeping Dacta such a secret.
Something about 'low profits' or 'low demand'.  But maybe it's just a
question of not enough creative advertising; not enough creative thinking.

Sitting on the sidelines shaking his head,
Allan B.