 Dear LEGO / 3507
Re: How about "Technic Tubs" ???????????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:58:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Schilling writes:

I have wished for something like this for a long time as well: it would be
really cool to have a separate tub for each colour of technic elements!  The
vast majority of pieces should be mainly beams, (without overly many small
ones) and technic plates, but also some rounded beams,  half-width beams and
lift-arms.  I'd buy a couple tubs in each colour you produce!

However, if there is any chance of something like this ever appearing, then
unless LEGO is planning on making friction pegs, bushings, etc., in the
various colours as well, PLEASE don't fill the the tubs (and run up the
element count) with tiny elements like this.  I would much prefer to buy
them in bulk packs, like the ones from DACTA.  Include a catalog insert
showing how these can be purchased in packs of 50's and 100's.

In the interest's of furthering this intellectual discussion here is my
contribution.

If we have beams we need connector pegs, luckily lego know how to put a set
together(even if they don't have such a great idea of what set's to make).

I also don't think it would be necessary to include more than a tiny handful
of angle connectors in the tub's colour, or the decorative panels.

**We don't need high element counts to have a high perceived value.**

I'd go along with that.

There are a few other elements that it would be cool to have in various
colours, but if these aren't going to be produced in the tub's colour
scheme, I would again prefer they not be included at all.
For instance it would be cool to have gears in multiple colours, but rather
than put a bunch of grey gears in these tubs, I would again rather prefer to
buy them in bulk.

Gears are grey. People expect them to be grey and they dont stick out in an
otherwise coloure'd model. If people started expecting the gears to match as
well as the bricks that would introduce more needless complexity.

(And while I'm on gears, PLEASE make a few new sizes?
For instance, ones that would mesh in the vertical direction on a stack of
beams.)

More sizes might be useful but they should fit in with the current scheme.
If you want to stack gears vertically you should use the every third hole
rule like the rest of us.

Steve