 Dear LEGO / 3494
3493  |  3495
Subject:
Tubs [was: Re: How about "Technic Tubs" ???????????]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:14:06 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, William R. Ward writes:
"Thomas (T. J.) Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> writes:
Of course we all wish for "Blue Tubs" that offer other parts (e.g. technic
beams, technic parts, plates, earth-tone bricks, etc.) but how realistic is
that? How did the blue tubs (set 3033) come about? Were they from an extra
surplus from Lego and not a set that was specifically produced?

I'm pretty sure they were intended to compete with MegaBlox which had
been producing similar tubs at similarly cut-rate prices.  Lego's 3033
(just about?) completely annihilated the competition.  Now that there
is no competition for that (I don't think MegaBlox makes them anymore)
Lego can safely discontinue the blue tubs, which were probably not
profitable at only $19.95 (when you include the costs of distribution,
etc.).

Last I saw my local Wal-Mart still had a fair number of Mega Bloks tubs, and
even more identical tubs manufactured by Ritvik but sold under the house brand
name "Kid Connection".  (And yes, they clearanced their 3033s months ago.)

I thought that the 3033 was discontinued for the same reason that TLC
discontinues most of its products:  they have an obsessive need to refresh
their product line every three years, irrespetive of how well or poorly any
product does, or at how much of a competitive disadvantage it puts them.  Look
to the psychological hang-ups of the TLC executives to predict policy, not
little things like competition.

TWS Garrison