 Dear LEGO / 1460
  Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

Dear Lego, I note that your current plastic thingie set, Air Zeppelin, seems to be a glut on Walmart shelves, even at 9 bucks which is significantly less than original MSRP. Every single Wal Mart I was just at (and I hit about 10 in the last week) (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:3897B05F.EB0C57...ger.net... (...) Besides the fact that most of these packages are a retailers product placement nightmare. Too much shelf space, not enough product. -Rob. (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) Or more bluntly, this stupid crap doesn't move. We know it. Store owners know it. Time for you to catch on as well. Just THINK about it, LEGO. You're shopping for just the right present for some kid, maybe even your kid. Are you going to (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

What he said... Just don't package it in cardboard surrounds to make it easier to wrap, that misses the point. Again, to reiterate, that is, to repeat myself, or if you like, say it again for clarity... Plastic Thingies that are modular and that (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) I agree with your sentiment (even though I liked the pharoah tube thing)... There seem to be more useless (and expensive at MSRP) bits nowadays...... Unless I am trying to recreate a hydrogen bomb, some sort of Hindenburg re-enactment or a WWI (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

TUBS, however, are pretty useful. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

Mmmmmmmm... Guinness... I actually like the chrome exhaust pipes! (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

I have a bunch of empty tubs (100 or so) that I would be glad to swap for some better form of storage, like the 6 or 9 compartment trays with handles. I do agree that the tubs are good, but I hate the buckets for storage. That handle makes it really (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

If you cut out the center divider, and just snap the handle clips back in, buckets are very useful EXCEPT that the lid doesn't snap in tight. If they tip over, you have a mess. It would be nice if the lids snapped in securely. But those orange (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) I was in the store a couple of nights ago looking at the toy isles. I actually had a hard time determining at first where LEGO sets stopped and Playmobil started. Look at set 6600, Highway Construction. Tell me that it doesn't start to look (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) Well, they have a prefab building system. I picked up a Playmobil catalog at Target and it was frightening how much the lines were similar, right down to the color schemes for things. (Playmobil has a blue and white railway express train and a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) I think Star Wars and G.I. Joe are exactly why Lego is making so many specialized pieces. They are trying to compete with these guys. I remember as a kid back in the early eighties(82-83?), I started to get heavily into GI-Joe. Prior to that I (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) Hey, GI Joe was great! Sure, when I got my first one, I had him pegged as a weak-minded pawn of the military-industrial complex[1] (probably because of the booklet showing how to pose him in various boot-camp situations; calisthenics, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) Hm, I got into GI Joe just as they introduced the Swivel-Arm Battle Grip™. I loved the things--after a couple of years where fingers broke off, they changed plastic formulation for the forearms and solved that problem. I finally liquidated my (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes (...) I kind of spaced on the busted finger thing. I remember Zap ("bazooka expert" or something), my first GI Joe, hade some serious finger problems. Not only was the hand's plastic (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <3897B05F.EB0C5777@v...er.net>... (...) Well, I love the Zeppelin and they have been long gone from the shelves around here (weeks before Christmas) and I also like the Mummy case. However, I am a mom and we tend to (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) I found the buckets to be rather useful. I've gone to sorting by piece, so I know have buckets full of 2x2, 2x4, 1x2, etc. I need to label the blasted things, though. "Ok, 1x4's are in.... the blue bucket. There's 12 blue buckets!! AAAHH!!" (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) It wasn't the loss of fingers that was so troubling, it was the loss of the groin region! Very very bad. 8-0 (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

Lap Table Exemption from Plastic Thingie ban herewith issued. (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

The lap table doesn't even begin to fit me, though, and I'm still pretty skinny ;-) And it doesn't hold nearly enough ;-) (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) We need the lap table for AFOL, with a hard-shell, multi-partition backpack storage unit. Steve (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

With wheels and a pull along handle, sized to just fit in carryon. I really don't need clothes, but perhaps one small compartment for a toothbrush? (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)

(...) I echo the sentiments that playscapes are bad, bad, bad. Memo to Lego: Please, please, please stop trying to mimic other toy manufacturers. Stop trying to recreate what works for other toy companies, and return again to your strengths: (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.dear-lego)