 Dear LEGO / 1487
Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 21:51:29 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:

I realize TLG spends big bucks on the molds, But I think they are skimping
more and more.....I know the usual Junior rants, they all apply...the large
tubes and useless baseplates seem to be a beta test for turning Lego into
Action Figure/ scene based toys like Star Wars or G.I. Joe.

I think Star Wars and G.I. Joe are exactly why
Lego is making so many specialized pieces. They
are trying to compete with these guys.

I remember as a kid back in the early eighties(82-83?),
I started to get heavily into GI-Joe. Prior to that I
always played with Lego and Star Wars. I remember
my initial fascination with GI-Joes was their increased
articulation and poseability and the fact that they
had so many accessories (backpacks, helmets, guns, etc.
and they were big enough that you didn't need tweezers
to handle them.) I also liked the fact that I could
create environments for them out of just about anything.
I would never cut up a shoebox to make a Mini-Fig base,
the two materials just wouldn't mesh. GI-Joe on the
other hand, fit in fine.

I think any attempt to turn Mini-Figs into some sort of
action figure line are doomed to failure. IMHO, the chief
playability of Lego always been the ability to make new
models. By trying to compete with action figures by
manufacturing all these specialized pieces they lose some of
that playability and weaken one of the toys' main strengths.
(Except for the Star-Wars stuff...If they had that when I was
a kid, I would remember GI-Joe only as a bad cartoon and
a cool comic-book)

Looking back, I sure wish I had spent all my GI-Joe
money on Lego. I think GI-Joe ushered in my Dark Ages...

Eli Fleming