 Dear LEGO / 1482
Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:

I agree with your sentiment (even though I liked the pharoah tube thing)...
There seem to be more useless
(and expensive at MSRP) bits nowadays......

Unless I am trying to recreate a hydrogen bomb, some sort of Hindenburg
re-enactment or a WWI balloon decoy/defense thing....How adaptable/useful is
it?

I think that Lego should not blur the line between storage and system parts...

I view the useless plastic thingies as an evolution of chrome/plastic
thingies (like the crowns and chrome swords).  I see more and more Non-Lego
quality elements creeping into my collection and large eBay
acquisitions.....the chrome tail pipes, afore-mentioned swords, large drill
cones, armada theme armor etc.  I wonder, are these cheaper to produce?  I
think their quality and durability is much less than bricks or even the
traditional castle/space waepons.

I realize TLG spends big bucks on the molds, But I think they are skimping
more and more.....I know the usual Junior rants, they all apply...the large
tubes and useless baseplates seem to be a beta test for turning Lego into
Action Figure/ scene based toys like Star Wars or G.I. Joe.

I prefer to view these plastic blimps and fake terrain parts as :

Giant - Useless - Lego - Products

(ok not as good as CRAPS, BURPS, or POOPS, but a modest contribution after 2
guiness pints)

NO more G.U.L.P.S !!!!! Give me real Lego parts for $20....

I was in the store a couple of nights ago looking at the toy isles. I actually
had a hard time determining at first where LEGO sets stopped and Playmobil
started. Look at set 6600, Highway Construction. Tell me that it doesn't start
to look like a Playmobil product after a minute or two. Ya it's great for
playability just like Playmobil, but I don't see Playmobil striving for
buildability just like LEGO.

http://195.63.217.70/cgi-bin/playmobil.filereader?667526024+EN/products/3756
http://195.63.217.70/cgi-bin/playmobil.filereader?667526024+EN/products/3761

-Duane