 Dear LEGO / 1471
Re: Lose the Plastic Thingies (tm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:29:42 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Dear Lego,

I note that your current plastic thingie set, Air Zeppelin, seems to be
a glut on Walmart shelves, even at 9 bucks which is significantly less
than original MSRP. Every single Wal Mart I was just at (and I hit about
10 in the last week) has gobs and gobs and gobs of them (I'd go a buck

for it, maybe even 2, but not 9... and I just bought 10 of the big ninja
castle at 1/2 off so it's not that I am an across the board Mike
Stanley, holding out for 80% off, or anything...)

I also note that some of your other recent plastic thingie sets (the
rock fright knights (arguably the most universally derided set that
doesn't contain a Timmy in recent memory), the hot rod cliff, the
pharoah tube, the neptune bubbles, and most of the flip top cases) have
also dogged.

I suggest you dump plastic thingies altogether.

OR...

Just make USEFUL plastic thingies. For example, bring back the 6
compartment trays with handles, and bring back the 9 compartment trays
with handles.

THOSE are useful.

The rest of the plastic thingies are not useful and it's not just me
that feels that way, the whole market does. Just go count air zeppelins

I agree with your sentiment (even though I liked the pharoah tube thing)...
There seem to be more useless
(and expensive at MSRP) bits nowadays......

Unless I am trying to recreate a hydrogen bomb, some sort of Hindenburg
re-enactment or a WWI balloon decoy/defense thing....How adaptable/useful is it?

I think that Lego should not blur the line between storage and system parts...

I view the useless plastic thingies as an evolution of chrome/plastic
thingies (like the crowns and chrome swords).  I see more and more Non-Lego
quality elements creeping into my collection and large eBay
acquisitions.....the chrome tail pipes, afore-mentioned swords, large drill
cones, armada theme armor etc.  I wonder, are these cheaper to produce?  I
think their quality and durability is much less than bricks or even the
traditional castle/space waepons.

I realize TLG spends big bucks on the molds, But I think they are skimping
more and more.....I know the usual Junior rants, they all apply...the large
tubes and useless baseplates seem to be a beta test for turning Lego into
Action Figure/ scene based toys like Star Wars or G.I. Joe.

I prefer to view these plastic blimps and fake terrain parts as :

Giant - Useless - Lego - Products

(ok not as good as CRAPS, BURPS, or POOPS, but a modest contribution after 2
guiness pints)

NO more G.U.L.P.S !!!!! Give me real Lego parts for $20....