 Dear LEGO / 1280
Re: LEGO Direct Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:19:31 GMT

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:09:39 GMT, "R2" <r2eng@primenet.com> wrote:

I would 'guess' they are waste. Most of the time the trees have some type of
contamination for human hands, dirt, dust, grime, or maybe even mold release
agent. Also, the energy required for remelting of the solid trees would be
greater than keeping the liquid ABS at a constant temp. It's the Engineer's

But when the raw material enters the factory, as granules, it's not
melted either.. and I've seen documentaries where the granules are
liberally touched by hand. But you could be right, you knopw more
about this than I do, obviously.

design that can minimize the amount of waste in the molds. The gates for the
liquid to flow through are sized for the material. Some materials at a
certain temp flow better than others, even using injection molds.

Sounds logical.

Jasper