 Off-Topic / Debate / 3192
Re: Lucky Americans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 09:02:17 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
news:3870F1E0.8D1B0D92@voyager.net...
First, no offense was intended in my original statement and none was
taken by me with regard to Pat's response. Nor should any be taken by
the below.

One point I forgot to make though.

Pat wrote:

  Anyone making $60 an hour is indeed a lucky person.

I'm not sure (and this IS .debate, after all) that luck has much to do
with it, once you factor out genetics. I'm smarter (and handsomer) than
the average guy, yes, but that's it for luck.

The rest comes down to choices made. My parents chose to ensure that I
found reading to be fun, they chose to buy toys (such as LEGO, let us
not forget) that stimulated my mind, they chose to emphasise schoolwork
and study as more important than feelgood socialization and playing with
the neighbor kids. They refused to give me an allowance, insisting that
I earn my pocket money. They made me fix stuff that I had broken. When I
approached College age, they again bore down on me to study hard, work
hard, etc.

My father, (an immigrant who got here with less than nothing) who was at
the time supporting a wife who had just had a incapacitating stroke,
sacrificed a great deal to see to it that I got a good college
education.

That got me my start. I'd chalk the rest of the path up to choices that
*I* made, sacrifices that I made, decisions about where to focus my
career, choices my family made, etc.

When we say we need to bear the consequences of our actions, we usually
mean that in a bad way. But the other side of the coin is true as well.
My actions got me my rate, no one handed that wage to me on a silver
platter. I earned it!

Now, to flippantly say "you blue collar guys deserve your low pay" is
rather callous and if one thinks I'm saying that, one would be
incorrect. But you need to ensure that if you can't better your own lot,
you at least are setting your kids up to better theirs.

--

Peh..:-) Slightly less then 1000$ (after tax) per month is just my income,
and yes I'm not a blue collar, actually a relatively well earning white..:-)

Selçuk