 Dear LEGO / 1263
Re: LEGO Direct Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:09:39 GMT

Are the trees actually waste? I'd expect them to be thrown into the
raw materials bin again..

Jasper

I would 'guess' they are waste. Most of the time the trees have some type of
contamination for human hands, dirt, dust, grime, or maybe even mold release
agent. Also, the energy required for remelting of the solid trees would be
greater than keeping the liquid ABS at a constant temp. It's the Engineer's
design that can minimize the amount of waste in the molds. The gates for the
liquid to flow through are sized for the material. Some materials at a
certain temp flow better than others, even using injection molds.

I would love to visit the factory and see how they have the molding process
setup. But then, that's the "geek" in me....

Eric