 Off-Topic / Debate / 3186
Re: Lucky Americans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 22:16:14 GMT

No, it's bloody IMPOSSIBLE to get by on $400/week POST-tax in my area, unless you
have multiple earners in a household.  With rents at $1200+ for any area short of
slums around here, $400/wk barely pays the rent.

Don't get me started on that :-/

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Pat wrote:

Larry,
  Anyone making $60 an hour is indeed a lucky person.  Considering that minimum
wage is only around $5.25 and most people consider a $10 an hour job doing
well.  No hard feelings intended here....but some of us have to work 3 hours
for that same CD player, and it isn't behind a desk either.
No hard feelings, just think about the blue collar guys huh?
Pat

Your point is well taken, although I'd go farther and say that 10 an
hour isn't considered by everyone as 'doing well', if that's the wage
that a single wage earner is making. It is HARD to get by on 400 a week
pretax (that's about 20K a year).