Re: Delegations to the July Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:26:34 GMT

Xcalabur wrote:

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Frank Filz writes:
Xcalabur wrote:
All in all, this sounds like a great idea.  I really like the camp
idea...that way, we could have lots of little things going on, small two or
three fig meetings, etc...it'd make for a great story.  I think it'd be cool
if we took photos of all the figs arriving, whether it be thru RDP,
carriage, ship, dragon, etc...

Also ... how about creating a landscape of baseplates, trees and such where
people could set up their camp and or just a sleeping bag (hmmm ... that
would be fun to build out of legos.

Wow! Definitely. What an awesome idea. I agree w/Craig, we should all bring
baseplates. We could either prepare the camp ahead of time, or build it on-the-
spot (assuming there wil be K8 boxes again this year).

It'd be more hassle to prepare the camp beforehand, but I think it'd net
better results.  We could do plenty of landscaping, have a couple buildings,
lots of little campfires...<getting a strange urge to sing Kumbaya :-)>

I think doing as much prep before hand as possible would be good, but I
think it would be neat if we mostly each brought our own camp. We can
prepare a grid of baseplates and assign them as people "register". Then
you will know who your neighbors are and can coordinate on making your
baseplates mesh pretty well.

I'm seconding this idea.

To give me an incentive to do my taxes quickly tonight, I'll pose the
possibility of doing an initial set up of this tonight as a prize for
finishing my taxes. I need to clear some space for a guest anyway. I
think I'll start with a 6x6 baseplate area and see how it looks.

Since many people will be wanting their camp to be somewhat of a
surprise, we can limit the information we share to what the scenery at
the edge looks like and it would be nice to know what trees or so are on
your area so we can try and make the empty camp look at least somewhat
like it should.

Agreed.  We should have a bit of a rough outline of everything before we
begin setting anything in concrete (or ABS, as it were :-)

Part of what I had in mind here is that two adjoining people would
coordinate to decide how the edge between their camps looks. An example
might be that I'll want a 16x32 baseplate along the lake shore (oh, the
lake should also have a large dock for the more important guests to pull
up to to unload). I'll define at least a rough idea of where I want
rocks and trees along the edge, and then my neighbors can have the same
trees and rocks bordering (I'm thinking we'll have some trees smack on
the border for example - for one thing, we need things to hold the
baseplates together).

To allow for plenty of time for story threads, we should probably make
the gathering actually be several LEGO days. We could have set times for
when the days change, or we can just generally wing it (at least some
events should be scheduled however).

I was thinking the same thing.  I think three LEGO days would prolly be
good.  Thataway, it could go right along with the fest.  We could have the
arrival of everyone, setting up camps, etc., the meeting, of course, and
then all the other little things, like the smaller meetings, the tournament
(if we decide on it), maybe some sort of majick show by an expert wizard
(just imagine, a small stage with lots of logs to sit on all around it),
other little events, and such.  Then, the winding up of everything and figs
departing with their newfound knowledge/deals/enemies.

I was thinking more on the lines of a LEGO week or so, running through a
couple days each day of the fest.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com