Re: Delegations to the July Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:50:09 GMT

Xcalabur wrote:
All in all, this sounds like a great idea.  I really like the camp
idea...that way, we could have lots of little things going on, small two or
three fig meetings, etc...it'd make for a great story.  I think it'd be cool
if we took photos of all the figs arriving, whether it be thru RDP,
carriage, ship, dragon, etc...

Also ... how about creating a landscape of baseplates, trees and such where
people could set up their camp and or just a sleeping bag (hmmm ... that
would be fun to build out of legos.

Wow! Definitely. What an awesome idea. I agree w/Craig, we should all bring
baseplates. We could either prepare the camp ahead of time, or build it on-the-
spot (assuming there wil be K8 boxes again this year).

It'd be more hassle to prepare the camp beforehand, but I think it'd net
better results.  We could do plenty of landscaping, have a couple buildings,
lots of little campfires...<getting a strange urge to sing Kumbaya :-)>

I think doing as much prep before hand as possible would be good, but I
think it would be neat if we mostly each brought our own camp. We can
prepare a grid of baseplates and assign them as people "register". Then
you will know who your neighbors are and can coordinate on making your
baseplates mesh pretty well.

Some features the camp should have:

- The great council house (Jeff Stembel will be submitting a bid on
this, any other bids?)
- A tourney ring
- A midway with booths selling things and offering games
- The midway could be edged by a small permanent settlement so those who
would like to build permanent structures can do so.
- A fairly large lakefront or navigable river (I will be having at least
one delegation arriving by boat)
- An Inn would be nice for those guests who are above camping
- The grounds should be edged by some hills and a forest so people who
have reasons to be in those environs can do so
- I can bring a bunch of 6761 and 6079 baseplates to provide some of the
roads leading in, though it would probably be best for people to claim
campsites along the entry roads. I probably have enough baseplates that
I can model the blank slate (I don't think Track Designer has all the
baseplates we need). I have 8 6079s, something close to that many 6761
baseplates, bunches of 6411 and 6410 baseplates, something like 3-5 6071
baseplates, plenty of CRAPPs, 4 4291 baseplates, and more. I doubt there
are any baseplates people would want to use I don't have, and that list
mostly covers the ones we would want to use to define the area).

The one area we shouldn't try to set up too much in advance is the
Midway. We should just squeeze in peoples creations as they arrive
(which means they need to not be built on a baseplate - or at least need
to be easily moved to a baseplate).

I hope to take all Friday off early, so I'd be happy to bring the
materials to set up the area "before". I will be bringing my boxes of
plant life, so I can even plant the trees which will be in your camp.

Since many people will be wanting their camp to be somewhat of a
surprise, we can limit the information we share to what the scenery at
the edge looks like and it would be nice to know what trees or so are on
your area so we can try and make the empty camp look at least somewhat
like it should.

To allow for plenty of time for story threads, we should probably make
the gathering actually be several LEGO days. We could have set times for
when the days change, or we can just generally wing it (at least some
events should be scheduled however).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com