Re: The NEW Castle World!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:28:07 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Alex Polimeni wrote:
   Now, for CQ. I do not want to REPLACE CW and everything with CQ, but i would like to add it as another level of CW. That way, people who wanted some uncontrolled bit in their adventures, and didnt want complete control over their characters, and basically wanted to place them in a real WORLD would enter some characters in CQ. They could still of course be a part of regular old CW too.

I know ZERO about gaming, most probably. The sum of what I know is that people begin with characters and a scenario; the characters have certain “power” levels and the action is dictated by the throw of different kinds of dice. A “dungeon master” develops the scenario and sets a kind of storyline/quest and rules on the disputes that may arise. Is that about right?

That is right, but in CQ there is no “mission”. You go through the IOM- see my example by searching my name- gathering the stuff you would need. Then you set out in a direction into the wilderness. The point of the RPG is to claim and colonize territory for CW, very very much similer to IOM.

   How do people implement this on the web? How is it done via simple webpages with text and images?

Not webpages. The movement is done on graphs, with corresponding letters. You se so you can say “My character now moves to square 5-N.” That would be done in .Castle, .CW, or hopefully its own sub-group.

I wouldn’t even know where to begin looking for a concrete example of this...

Look no farther then the BZPRPG :http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=16&t=61595&s=9e01034f43e792e51485e28fef31a1b0 Why could lugnet not do something similer? The BZPRPG does not have gamemasters, but you get the point.

   While I don’t intend to dictate from on high what can or cannot be done, I am mindful of the fact that CW is ideally a storytelling forum. How does CQ, whatever it is, facilitate storytelling?

The whole point of CQ is basically for storytelling, but you dont have complete control of what is going to happen and where the story is going. Like real life. In CQ your plans can get shattered because half your company fell into an ice pocket or something. So basically you can either play without storytelling or you can just put up a new chapter of a story after the gamemaster comes on and updates you on whats going on.

   -- Hop-Frog

Alex