Re: The NEW Castle World!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 02:06:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Do you object to maintaining the archive as a completely separate link from the new site? If yes, why should it disappear? Just because people are now long absent, doesn’t mean that their existing contributions aren’t worth preserving in some way. I mean, look at brickshelf -- the whole thing is just an archive of what has gone before, even if “before” is just yesterday.

No no, please don’t misunderstand me. I’m perfectly happy with keeping an archive of the old CW. Like I said, it’s healthy to look back at the past and what others have done.

   Do you object to Craig’s logo artwork? If you object to the logo, what do you propose we use instead?

I don’t object to Craig’s artwork, and in fact would be perfectly happy with keeping it, albeit changing it to suit the needs of the new CW. But then again, I’m not a big fan of splash pages. Changing the existing CW main page logo to be more of a banner or perhaps even a menu system like my websites would be more to my liking (but I’m biased when speaking of my own designs). I would also propose taking the logo’s color scheme further into the website, especially the background. Now this is just my personal opinion, but I hate black backgrounded websites. They look just too dark and un-inviting (unless dark and mysterious is the look we’re going for). I’d replace the background with either a solid color or a paper or stone texture (again like my current websites) that would closely match the color used in the logo, or compliment that color (like Lugnet’s blue and white).

   Also, am I not making it clear that the ONLY thing I propose we retain from the old CW is the logo button? I thought just the ONE thing as a connection to the past wasn’t too bad of an idea. Plus, it was entirely based on official Lego stuff, as I have shown.

I misunderstood you on keeping just the logo button, for that I apologize. But I do have an objection to putting so much emphasis on the swirl from the Time Twisters. I have no problem with the logo as-is, don’t get me wrong. But because the IOM never revealed that swirl in any official capacity, it holds no historical signifigance. Thus I don’t think the reason we keep it should be because the people behind IOM INTENDED to use it. As far as I know, you’re the only person still in .castle who knew why in the world the swirl was in the logo to begin with. I have no problems with the logo, however, it’s perfectly fine as-is.

   I propose a TOTALL NEW CW, and an archive as one teeny link off the main page of the new site. You would begrudge past CW contributors their measly 5-6 MB?

-- Hop-Frog

No, like I said, I have no problem with it. If I did not say it, I certainly meant to, archiving it is perfectly acceptable to me.

--Anthony