 Castle / 16531
Re: Chapter 2, plus 2 MOCs, too
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 05:42:34 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:

  O.K. Anthony,

     I just read your first 2 chapters (and am back online). But it was
more this post that struck me. Here is a great quote from Tolkien that
appeared in the preface to the second edition of LOTR (which is widely held
to be the book of the century.)
  "Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found
it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I
have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they
evidently prefer."
  That is the attitude of success to non-constructive criticism.

I'm not much of a reader (go figure), so I've never read that quote of his
before.  Thank you for sharing it.  I can always seem to count on the support
of my lugnet friends whenever I am in need.

    My thoughts on your story thus far (warning very honest):

       I liked your first story though I am not a great fan of your writing
(to each their own), I also was irritated by the amount of magic. That said
you have a real talent in pace (esp. in a particular situation) and majorly
in tension.
  In the second book: I was a little dissapointed to see more dragons but I
won't pass judgement untill I see all the plot twists you add (another
talent). I will say your MOCs are improving (not that I am in any position
to judge, more of an observation, but your dragons/creatures were always
great. I also think your writing is unjudgeable because you have created (to
some extent) a new niche of mature picture book... But your writing in the
first 2 chapters is not your best... it reminded me of your last 5 chapters
of the last book which seemed (to me) rushed and less rewritten (from your
notes?) then the rest.
    Overall I give you credit for what you've done and think it's great!
But what really matters is that last bit... YOU HAVE DONE IT.

        God Bless,

                 Nathan

You were right when you said you would be very honest, but I appreciate every
word.  I regret to hear that my plot thus far and my writing have disappointed
you.  I will certainly try harder in the future to keep my level of writing
higher.  As for the plot I can only hope that you will enjoy what I have in
store, as you say I have a talent for plot twists.  Like I said in a previous
post, however, this story will be less dependant, overall, on magic to solve
situations, hopefully that will be more to your liking.  Please don't think
that I've changed the story just to appease my audience, the story has not
changed since I wrote it.  I agree with you about the rushed feeling the last
five chapters have, but I kind of wrote myself in a corner on that one.  I was
forced to finish the plot elements in the chapter markers I gave myself.
If/When I get around to finally finishing turning the Chronicles into a book
form I'll be sure to slow it down.

I had never thought of myself working in a new area of writing before.  A style
of adult picture books, huh?  That's a pretty cool thought.

And thank you for your compliments to me and my story.  It does my heart good
to know that there are those who like my story just as much as those who don't.
I also want to thank you for your honesty.  Things like this really help me
become a better writer and entertainer.

And of course thanks for the feedback!

--Anthony