 Castle / 16534
Re: Chapter 2, plus 2 MOCs, too
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 06:47:35 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Josh Wedin writes:
Hey Anthony,

I just wanted to put my two cents worth in, if that is okay.  I like your
story and website.  I don't know how many people I have shown your story to,
but it is a lot.  I am sorry to hear that you have gotten flooded with
criticism.  It seems like some people have to criticize whatever they see.
While you will probably not recieve a Pulitzer for Ikros (actually, I just
read a book that did win the Pulitzer and I think Ikros was better), it
moves along and is entertaining.  As for ripping off The Lord of the Rings,
Tolkien covered so much ground and was so foundational to the fantasy genre,
that is nearly impossible to do something that doesn't remind people of
LOTR.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I didn't notice any blatant ripping off
in your work.  One last thing, then I will stop spouting off.  This is what
I do with floods of criticism...If the person hasn't done better than I have
I generally disregard their comments.  If they have experience in what I am
attempting and they criticize, I consider it.  For instance, if Tolkien told
me that my writing needed work, I would try to correct it.  If some 13 year
old kid on the internet, who can't write an original thought to save his
life, said it stank...well you know what to do.  Anyway, hope this helped,
if not I apologize for rambling on and on.

Keep writing (and building) if it is still fun for you,
Josh

Ikros winning a Pulitzer... boy, wouldn't that be something?  Not that there's
any chance of it happening, but it's fun to dream :)  I've been told that exact
same thing before, about Tolkien covering so much of the genre.  Heck, he
pretty much invented it.  Thanks for the advice, I will best to keep it all in
mind.

And don't worry (if you are), building and writing Ikros is still fun,
especially after getting support from Lugnet and you fine people in .castle.

And thanks for the feedback!

--Anthony