 Castle / 16565
Re: Chapter 2, plus 2 MOCs, too
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:11:07 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:

but speaking
of Tolkein, maybe your predicament is one
of the reasons I have abstained from reading
his works...I just don't want to risk it...

Matt, I really think you're doing yourself a disservice here.  You are really
missing out on one of the best books of the 20th century of any genre, and
quite probably THE best in the fantasy genre.

The answer to avoiding being a copycat is not to avoid the original sources.
The answer is instead to read lots and lots of sources--read Tolkien, read
L'Engle, read Lewis, read Le Guin, read McCafferty, read Cooper, read the
mythology of the Greeks and Norse and other cultures, read the Bible and other
religious works, read etc etc etc.  Once you have all these different things
swimming around in your head, sure, you'll pull influences from here and there,
but it won't be a rip-off of any one book.  In interview after interview I have
seen professional writers say how reading has helped them grow as writer.
Remember, Tolkien drew inspiration from all kinds of sources.

Bruce