 Castle / 14695
Re: The Epic Chronicles of Ikros
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:10:16 GMT

  As a general beginning point, I'd like to say that there are two ways of
viewing this piece, one as a Lego MOC (in that it is the creative collection of
Built Creations, and seen in terms of a MOC) and as a piece of literature
(plot, writing, etc).

  Agreed!
  As a MOC, the Chronicles of Ikros is a triumph.  The voyages of Garalt are a
constructive journey through a variety of lands and meeting a variety of LEGO
creatures.  Each place has had it own character, its own style and at the same
time the style of its creator.  I think Tel'Karak Zrahl (sp?) should be listed
as one of the great Moc

   Again Agreed!

  As a story the Chronicles is still impresive.  The sheer fact that you began
and ended such a large project is impressive.  Aside from LEGO epics (which
usually end after chapters one or two), getting any writer to finish a long
project is difficult. •  This is the real accomplishment lego wise.

  The plot itself is interesting, but at times suffers from its complexity.
The dragon alone would have been enough for an epic this size, but throw in
Ethelred/Zakar's invasion, the Coup attempt, and the Garalt-Alyia subplot as
well as all the other subplots is dizzying.  At times I really wondered who the
main character was (mainly between Garalt and Greylen), and at others I was
bombarded by a host of characters who at the moment seem important but haven't
been mentioned for a while.  It is almost as if one needs to study the Cast of
Characters before reading, and with a story this long you should have room to
really explore each major character.  When it was revealed that Haleron was the
coup leader (a suprise because we were lead to suspect Daravon, a good trick!),
I had to stop and re-read who he was.

             I personally hate a book with only one layer. Read any classic
work and you will find several plots and strands overlaid. Granted this
takes skill, but I am glad to see Anthony starting with that in mind.

  The writing is actually kinda nice, but tends to get bogged down at >moments.
    I don't think I've ever read anything you could describe as like
Anthony's style (for better or for worse, grin)

Sometimes when something really major is happening, it seems time stops
altogether.  When Garalt lands on Tel'Karak's face and goes through the moment
of reflection before he acts, I kept expecting him to be shrugged off.  What
logically should last a second is stretched out to half the page. When the
action gets turned up, the writing gets turned down, and that interupts the
reader's natural flow.  At times I felt like I could read the first sentance
and last sentance of a paragraph and know entirely what happened.  You really
have a good voice, don't let it become extraneous.  My advice (learned in a
creative writing course) is read through and cross out everything that doesn't
ABSOLUTELY have to be there to convey meaning, and it will help trim up your
story.

   Here is where I disagree (no argument intended just stating in opinion).
Reflection and thought are imnportant aspects of action, maybe Anthony could
improve thhe transition so you get an idea of the time involved, but to take
away this level would be ruinious.
    As to the advice of your writing course it is good for some types of
writing (mainly short or fast flowing). But an epic and in my view every
classic, is built on the scene, the detail, the depth. Most people advice
trimming to help learners who confuse length with depth but you need a full
story to edit. This is the point that needs to be honed not squashed.

  This is just a little something that bothered me, but your use of the word
"whelp" in reference to Garalt.  Tel'Karak and Kullvox both called him that
CONSTANTLY, like in every piece of dialogue.  You've gotta have a synonym for
that, or even, does it need to be there?

   I understand what Anthony was getting at in a complex relationship but
yes that would be a good cut.

  As I'm sure you're aware, don't take any of my criticisms as disrespect.  >I
believe without criticism, we have no way to improve.

_lenny

   Sorry for interferring, but I love writing and reading and appreciate
what was written (even if it needs improvement) and wanted to add my voice
to kepping the detail, and the complexity.

    God Bless,

         Nathan Todd