 Castle / 14500
Re: The Epic Chronicles of Ikros
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 01:01:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:

  Anthony,

         Sorry it took me so long to reply (it wasn't the ending). Believe
it or not I was going to be the first to reply at one stage, now after a
couple browser problems a bout of flu and a wedding I am ready to say...

    CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your epic, brilliant dedication, a great
story, and some amazing MOCs.

  Best wishes on any publishing attempt and your up coming lego moc line
(Daniel told me all about it)...

Thanks much!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I haven't worked much on it yet, but in
the next few weeks I have plans to start reworking the story for publication.
As for a LEGO MOC line, I'm afraid Daniel has given you the wrong idea.  I
don't know exactly what he told you, but LEGO has no plans (at least to my
knowledge) to produce any of my creations, nor have I any plans in the near
future to produce my own private line.

And of course, PLMKWYT!

      Which brings me to some comments and questions;

I am assuming constructive criticism is welcome, if not ignore below and
skip to stuff I liked...

Let me state for the record that I welcome all comments and questions.  Without
constructive criticism, I could never improve.

I really liked your book and enjoyed the routing you took in outline form.
My main sugggestion would be that if you want to publish it the traitors
need to be developed as characters earlier on. All I recalled of them was a
list of names around a table somewhere early on. That said I liked the
principle traitor (pardon my memory of names)and would love to see a rivalry
or false kindness involving Garalt and him developed early on.

Yeah, you're not the first to have an issue with this, I do as well.  However,
I have two points in my defense.  Firstly, I did have a few places where Garalt
and Haleron interracted, such as in first book where Garalt brings Garn, Ceness
and Rikio to King Ulmerad, as well as in the Battle at the Laquos River.  I
will admit, though, that they were few and far between.  Secondly, with my
story going off to other lands, I really didn't have the space to develop some
of the characters any better that were left behind.  I suppose it was my fault
for trying to pack in too many things into four books.  Perhaps I will expand
the begginning before publication to account for the developement.

  The other thing that I couldn't understand (please inform me) is the
number of traitors. A cou that large doesn't require secrecy, it all ready
is the whole goverment except a few. When the defenders are in such a
minority it is more of a cabinet shuffle then a civil war or plot.

A coup that size also takes time to build, and I did not reveal just when the
traitors were all brought over to that side.  The last of them could have been
brought over just before the battle with Zakar, it is just not certain.  Plus,
with a huge dragon and an army of the undead lurking about, it is best to keep
your forces together.  I tried to explain in the end that the army would be
split due to loyalties, but I suppose I failed in explaining it early or
clearly enough.

  Last question, what was Elthred (sp?) doing with Jared (sp?). If he
really meant well he would not have been in the plot. This seems like two
independant evils working together which was never clarified.

Are you referring to Jerren the Patriarch of the Order of Huldrain (Leader of
the Paladins of Karkos)?  If that's the case, then Ethelred and Jerren were not
connected at all.  Jerren was honestly going after Ethelred and his undead
forces, but Jerren was part of the coup against Ulmerad.  It was indeed two
independant evils, but working seperately with seemingly similar goals.

  Really Last question, what was Elthred's remark to Zakar about sending
Eorrel (sp) or somebody to the mines? Don't remeber who or exact quote, it
was right at the end of the battle though.

Wurrelin was the headmaster of the F'Rekkah Atoll, and way back in the
begginning of book 3, he promised Garalt that he would speak to the Council on
Ikros' behalf.  What I was trying to get across in Ethelred's comments to Zakar
in the end was that Wurrelin had tried to convince Zakar of the confusion, that
Ikros was not the enemy.  But after hearing it, Zakar labled Wurrelin as a
traitor, or a liar, and as punishment sent the old man off to the labor mines.
I suppose I didn't explain that clearly enough either.

   Stuff I liked:

      -Swift Strike in the end was great. Nice plot twist with the
giant(kinda sad for sentimental types like me) but still good.
      -Maya's (?)house dissapering
      -Swift Strike's secret order (very mysterious)
      -The end
      -All the rest

            Please give me some answers (Ireplied to the original post)

      Thanks for a great story and being the life of .castle (with others)

         God Blesss,

            Nathan

Thanks much for the response, and for being a fan!

Fianal question: When did you start on the story (release it)? Before I
found Lugnet anyway.

My initial release of the Kingom of Ikros was also the first day I posted to
lugnet - July 1, 2000, but I started working on the story many months before.

--Anthony