 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2824
Re: Opinions sought on rendering method
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:12:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   For me, the keypoint here is “for instructions”. Anything that remove legibility to the image should be avoided.

   Version 2
  • shadow makes the image more complex. To be avoided in instructions!

I agree with Philo that the shadows are distracting. I don’t think the stud logos are necessary, either.

On the other hand, I think the transparent parts in the first rendering look a little too dark.

There’s also a grainy texture under some of the transparent parts. For example, the interior of the cone on the antenna.

While we’re at it, I’d love to invite criticism of my very similar experiment with instruction-style rendering (click “All Sizes” for a bigger version):

instructions
mockup

Problems I’ve noticed with my rendering:
  1. edge tracing quirks - see the note on the image
  2. no edges under canopy - that windscreen has given me a lot of rendering grief
As noted here, I’ve used some of your tools and tips, Travis.

Jim