 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2823
Re: Opinions sought on rendering method
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:00:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   I’m working on a different rendering method (for instructions) using POV-Ray, and I wanted to get some opinions about the output.(snip)

Version 1:

1600x1200 800x600

Version 2:

1600x1200 800x600

For me, the keypoint here is “for instructions”. Anything that remove legibility to the image should be avoided.

In both versions
  • conditional lines are not rendered. Not a huge problem here, could become one on models with many rounded surfaces.

  • Black is too dark/uniform. Lighter edgelines?

  • The complex transparency effect in the rounded edge of the windscreen is nice but brings nothing to legibility
Version 2
  • shadow makes the image more complex. To be avoided in instructions!

  • No details in tires (the shiny look of V1 is not realistic, but clearer)

  • reflections of studs on bricks also makes the image less understandable
The clear winner for me is version 1.

Silly question - why don’t you use LDView???

Philo