 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2832
Re: Opinions sought on rendering method
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:18:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   Silly question - why don’t you use LDView???

That isn’t a silly question at all, really. In fact, it may be more important than all the flaws that have been pointed out. Based on the comments here, there seems to be a general consensus about a few things regarding “high-quality instructions rendering”:
  • People don’t like the shadows.
  • People don’t like the reflections.
  • People don’t like the refraction (maybe).
The thing is, if you get rid of shadows, reflections, and refraction, the only things you get in POV-Ray that you don’t get in LDView (as far as I know) are:
  • Accurate curved surfaces (for those supported by the primitive substitution of your LDraw->POV converter)
  • Phong lighting
  • Better transparency where the background is visible through a transparent surface
Without a specular highlight, most people would be very hard-pressed to tell the difference between phong lighting and the gouraud lighting that LDView uses. And unless the primitive is really big, you’re not likely to notice the lack of truly round surfaces in LDView.

And yet, people seem to prefer POV-Ray for their high-quality instructions rendering. So what am I missing? For reference, here is the same model, rendered with LDView:

1600x1200 800x600

For the above render, I set LDView to have the settings that I think would produce the best quality for instructions. When I get home tonight, I’ll re-render the Version 1 POV image with a single light source and more ambient. I may also be able to cut down/eliminate the noise in the transparent regions where the transparent parts meet the opaque parts.

--Travis