 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2834
Re: Opinions sought on rendering method
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:20:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   I’m working on a different rendering method (for instructions) using POV-Ray, and I wanted to get some opinions about the output. On that note, I have two sample renderings in two different sizes, and I’d like to get people’s feedback. snip I’m particularly interested in problems you might see with either or both of the images. There are definitely problems; I’m curious about how obvious they are.

--Travis

In my opinion, both images are unusable for instructions. Prefering legibility over realism (though a bit of “realism” is still needed to even recognize the shapes), I put down some universal rules for creating instructions of virtually any LDraw model:

1. Any colour must look always the same. This means ambient light, no shading and no reflection. The opaque CA/ABS colours are simple. The metal parts should have a “metallic” texture on them (fake-reflection). The transparent parts should show “something behind them”, by means of softened edge lines (if the lines are visible too clearly, it would be confusing to tell which part is in the front).

2. Each part must have edges. Rounded shapes should use conditional lines. Dark colours should have light-coloured edges. Transparent parts should have contrastful “outer” edges (edges visible from outside) and softer “inner” edges (edges visible from through the part). Examples: transparent clear part + black outer edge + light gray inner edge; transparent dark blue part + white outer edge + blue inner edge

(3. Stud logos are not needed.)

Regards, Martin

(Note: I use LDView 3.0 for making instructions and I am pretty happy with it, except for rendering transparent parts. When rendering instructions for a “glass cylinder”, a complex structure built mainly of trans-clear parts, the images were very poor.)