 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1642
Re: POV 3.5, Radiosity, and Multiple Passes??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:37:39 GMT

You are probably going to kick yourself for this one.  You're right
about the color white, but it has to do with how you defined it.  The
rgb had one too many values:
    rgb <0.975, 0.975, 0, 900>
instead of:
    rgb <0.975, 0.975, 0>

:)

Thanks for the praise.  Just don't go around calling me an expert
because I'm not :)

Travis Dickinson

Tim Courtney wrote:

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Dickinson writes:

Your post made me curious so I  rendered a image using that part.  I had
the part in combinations of by itself and with a minifig, solid and
transparent, and with and without radiosity.  I also rendered with and
without the LGEO library.  Other than slowing to a crawl on the
transparent with radiosity on the 1.7 GHz desktop, I didn't have any
problems rendering the image.

I'm not in the habit of doing this, but if you'd like, I would willing
to give this rendering a shot.

Thanks, Travis!

An update to everyone - I mailed Travis my POV file last night, and he has
discovered the same, then replaced my color defs with his... (mine were
straight L3P colors), and it's working fine. I'm also able to render (with
radiosity or without) the colors gray, black, and trans-red easily. Right
now I'm rendering a 2560x2048 radiosity image with those three colors just
fine...7 mins into the render and it's already starting on the final pass...

Travis may think otherwise (and he probably knows more about POV than I do,
though I seem to have been getting along just fine with the settings
provided me..) ;-) but, I think it may be the color white and POV 3.5/MP
1.0?? I'm rendering white just fine on MP 0.7 for my building instructions
w/edge lines... but on the new versions it's messed up? Lars, thoughts?

Has anyone else run into these problems?

Thanks!

-Tim