 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1630
Re: POV 3.5, Radiosity, and Multiple Passes??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:42:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Dickinson writes:
I believe you are currently out of luck.  The way radiosity is currently
set up in POV-Ray 3.5, multiple passes are required.  That may or may
not change in future versions, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

:-( It's been 7hrs 41 mins, and it's still halfway through rendering the
second-to-last, rather blurry pass. I can't understand for the life of me
why rendering such little detail takes so long, I would expect this from the
actual final render. Also, it looks like my LDraw white is yellow in POV
3.5... I don't know if that's an artifact of the blurred passes, or if that
will show in the final render.

Truth is, this is only a test render! I need to render a print resolution
image here... and I can only dread how many days that will take! and I have
a few more print res images lined up after it too!

I have a 450 MHz so I understand your frustration.  Fortunately, I have
access to a 1.7 GHz which is about three to four times faster when
rendering.

Well, my 1 GHz laptop is my primary machine, which I'm posting from now, and
I can't tie it up cause all of my work is on it. I do have access to others'
machines I can ship my POV files off to, though, one image is being rendered
tonight. In a month or two, I think I'll buy a new motherboard and processor
for this desktop, possibly some more RAM too.

*sigh*

-Tim