 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1631
Re: POV 3.5, Radiosity, and Multiple Passes??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:10:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Tim Courtney writes:

I'm rendering an image at 800x600 in POV-Ray 3.5 right now, on an old 400mhz
(ouch!) computer. It's using radiosity settings Jeroen de Haan provided to
me over email. I've done other renders with these settings successfully,
that usually take about 3 hours to complete.

Can you share those settings? On the radiosity block, try playing with the
"count" parameter. Lower settings (even 1) will speed up the rendering, but
sometimes they cause gross artifacts that dissapear at higher settings.

As of now its been 3:40 on this render, and it's still in the stage of
rendering large blocks. This image contains a small MOC and a minifig, one
transparent element and two chrome elements (coins). I would expect it to be
hung up like this when rendering the fine quality final image, but it's
still rendering blocky in the first couple passes! Is there a way to turn
these first passes off, as they seem to have nothing to do with the final
image? Please help, thanks!!

MEGAPOV is known to be several times faster than POV (which is not a very
fast renderer to start with). I think the latest build is 100% povray 3.5
compatible.