 CAD / MLCad / 1974
  Part search

Hi all. Is there a part search box anywhere in MLCad? It would be useful to search on part of the description as well as the number without creating a custom part tree group. Thanks (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) There isn't, but there's a way to work around it. If you drag any random part into the display panes, you can right-click on it and select Modify. This will bring up a list of parts in alphabetical order (not numerical order, so 410 will come (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Whoops, the same feature is available for adding new parts by clicking Edit/Add/Part. I often have the Mode set to Pan instead of Edit (which disables the Add Part function, but not the Modify Part function), since you can still click/drag new (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Can I make this a feature request then? This program is SOOOO addictive :) I'm just trying to model a Garratt locomotive from: (URL) its 4:30 AM! Thanks again. (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) You can click on the "Part Description" header to sort by description, at which time you can also start typing and it will take you to the next part in the list matching what you've typed. ROSCO (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) By "partial description" I was thinking more on the lines of just bringing up any and all "2x2" parts. Anyways, I'm not sure being able to sort by full description is all that helpful. You've got "_Animal" vs "Animal", "_TECHNIC" vs "TECHNIC", (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) right click in the part preview window and select "Find...". this will open the search dialog. you can either search in part numbers or part names. also a match case function is available. once mlcad has found a part matching your criteria (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Its not really what you are looking for but I find this useful printed out as a reference (URL) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Looks interesting, be sure to post to .trains when you have done. Why did you pick on a Brazilian loco? Thats a really good site. tim (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Part search

(...) Erm, first site I found, and that was the first decent clear photo of the side :) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) I must have used that popup menu hundreds of times and never seen that option!! Thank you :) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) You know, it'd be really nice if that was documented in the included Help file, since I can't find that function anywhere in the pull-down menus. Also, it's the part tree window, not the part preview window. Right-clicking that just switches (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Not as far as I know, but you can always run my LDList in parallell (URL) program will let you search on any partial match both for name, description and keywords. It also implements a drag'n'drop interface, but I don't think MLCad has ever (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Well I've found it helpful on may occasions, just not usually when I'm doing a cold search for a part. Besides, I was just pointing out that "since this method only allows you to search by part number" was incorrect. Note also that the part (...) (20 years ago, 22-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) I still keep looking for the 6x7 Boat bow plate in the Plates section, then the Other/W(edges/ings) section, and then finally remember that it's classified as a Boat part (I've done this at least twice since actually finding it in the parts (...) (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) I forgot to mention that you can search on the number of studs too. (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) I assume it uses the same format as the tree grouping rules, which again are undocumented in the help files, but are helpfully detailed in: (URL) dont appear (as you have noticed) to accept spaces. (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) You might want to try Anders Isaakson's LDList, a small program for searching your LDraw parts. It's really a simple interface, allowing you to search for keywords or specific phrases. And LDList not only matches on part numbers and names, it (...) (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Yeah, some of those Boat parts need to be relocated. Especially now that the Wedge group has been broadened to include the boat base bricks (originally, wedges were only the 3x4 wedges, like part 6069). (...) That's not a totally bad idea. (...) (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Yes, I downloaded the ZIP file last night after he posted a link to it. I haven't installed it yet, but I thought the ability to search by total number of studs (in addition to everything else) to be a most amusing and interesting feature. (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) There's also the matter of the 2x3 and 2x4 wedge/wing plates. The 2x3 pair is classified as wedge plates and the 2x4 pair is classified as wings. It's a little less problematic, since both groups of parts are in the Other/W branch of the tree, (...) (20 years ago, 23-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) Ayup. All the wedge-plates should be classified as Wings, with all the bricks staying in Wedges. (...) If you have a better name for that part, I'd like to hear it -- I haven't come across a convincing one yet (of course, I haven't been (...) (20 years ago, 25-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

Steve Bliss wrote in message ... (...) bricks (...) I thought the current naming idea was to classify parts by shape, not function? I use wedge plates frequently, but not as wings. Kevin ---...--- Farmhouse kit: (URL) TOWN PLANNING information: (...) (20 years ago, 27-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) No, I don't mean coming up with a new description for it. I just want it to stack with the rest of the 2x2 plates in the part tree instead of ending up at the very bottom of the list after the 10x10 plates. There's no logical reason why it (...) (20 years ago, 27-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) 'Wing' means 'plate with angled edges' 'Wedge' means '(slope) brick with angled edges' Does that work for you? Steve (20 years ago, 27-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

Hello Purple Dave, "Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> schreef in bericht news:I5yux2.14JC@lugnet.com... (...) on (...) alphabetical (...) disables (...) still (...) cranked (...) in the (...) I don't know if you already knew, but it is (...) (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part search

(...) No, I didn't know that. It didn't sound like something that I'd really find useful, but I've been trying it, and it does make it a lot more convenient to select pieces on-screen instead of either having to hunt them down in the part list or (...) (20 years ago, 30-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)