 CAD / MLCad / 1999
Re: Part search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Steve Bliss wrote:
I'd have to start with that 2x2 plate w/ grilles, I think.

If you have a better name for that part, I'd like to hear it -- I haven't
come across a convincing one yet (of course, I haven't been looking).

No, I don't mean coming up with a new description for it.  I just want it to
stack with the rest of the 2x2 plates in the part tree instead of ending up at
the very bottom of the list after the 10x10 plates.  There's no logical reason
why it should be located there, so I'm thinking there must be some sort of
typographical anomoly that causes it to rank last in alpha-order by description.

Yes, AFAWK, those are the official LEGO numbers for those part-colors.

I'm mildly curious why stuff like painted horses get dealt with in this manner,
but so many other painted parts (minifig torsos, tiles, etc.) don't.  Even more
curious is why some minifig heads are only available in yellow while others can
be changed to any color.

For the base part (ie, without a specific color), all four- and five-digit
numbers are 'official LEGO numbers'.  Three digit numbers (3DN) are used for
parts whose numbers we don't know.

You know, once a set has been released, the Consumer Affairs division get copies
of the instruction booklets complete with part lists showing the official LEGO
part numbers.  Anything new that doesn't display a part number could be
identified with a simple phone call.

Alphanumeric suffixes (a, b, c, p01, c02, etc) are used to denote different
parts related to a part with an official known number.

Yup, figured that one out from using Peeron long before I ever got started with
LDraw.