 CAD / MLCad / 1993
Re: Part search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:51:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, David Laswell wrote:
I still keep looking for the 6x7 Boat bow plate in the Plates section, then
the Other/W(edges/ings) section, and then finally remember that it's
classified as a Boat part (I've done this at least twice since actually
finding it in the parts tree to begin with).

Yeah, some of those Boat parts need to be relocated.  Especially now that the
Wedge group has been broadened to include the boat base bricks (originally,
wedges were only the 3x4 wedges, like part 6069).

I'm getting really tempted to start tweaking my copies of the part files to
force certain pieces to be relocated in the part tree.

That's not a totally bad idea.

There seem to be a number of odd little idiosynchracies in the older part
files. A few months ago I pointed out a cockpit piece where some of the
interior edges were sticking out of the bottom.

Well, that's a wholly different issue than classification.

most of these appear to exist as duplicate part files under the
regular numbering scheme (I say "most" because the _Animal horses don't
change colors, but the Animal horses do).  If they're completely redundant,
is there any logical reason to keep them in the core part package?  Is it
sentimentality on the behalf of the creator, or the fact that people might
have actually used them in distributed files?

The _Part files are 'official shortcuts', meaning that they use a known LEGO
part number which indicates not only the part, but also the specific color.
That's why the _Animal Horse parts don't change color - they are intentially
fixed-color.

We don't get these type of LEGO numbers very often, but when we do, the _Parts
are the method we use to capture the information.

I'm not sure what other duplicate part files you were looking at?

I figured as much, once I noticed that even the numbers for various
decorated parts matched, so I've done that on a few occassions.  Mostly
when I've done it, it was to see if parts that I needed had been entered
into the Parts Tracker yet (usually they hadn't).

Peeron doesn't hook up with the LDraw data until the LDraw parts are put into an
official release.  So looking at Peeron won't tell you anything about the Parts
Tracker.

To find a part on the PT, go to <http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptlist.cgi>, do a
local-browser search.

No good if you aren't online though.

Yeah.  *sigh*  Well, unless you're one of the Bogers, in which case you can
probably look it up locally.

Peeron isn't a machine sitting under Dan's desk.  It's a server (now, after the
upgrade, a pair of servers) parked on a rack in a data center.  So they don't
have any greater local access than anyone else.

However, you can get a list of their part data at
<http://www.peeron.com/inv/master.txt>

Steve