 CAD / Development / 8843
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:00:54 GMT

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:26:26AM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
I believe this proposal should make reference to the current steering
committee, the only legitimate steering committee thus far. If it does not,
there is a risk that the LSC could be misconstrued as _the_ governing body
for all LDraw.org issues. The LSC is designed to be limited to technical
file format standards only. That said, community can and should discuss the
future of LDraw.org leadership in conjunction with this steering committee.

I agree that we have to avoid that risk you refer to, and I would
suggest that be part of the LSC charter.  As for the steering committee,
I'm not sure the post from 2 years ago is really valid anymore, and
would suggest the community start defining who should be in that
committee.

The LSC can easily start it's work without a permanent leadership body. But,
the proposal should acknowledge the current, temporary, leadership body
which does exist, if only so there is no confusion on the limitations of the
LSC's authority.

Does it exist?  In what form?  Are there meeting, notes, mailing lists?
Maybe it's just me not following .cad 2 years ago, but this 4+1 came as
a complete surprise to me.  Should I assume that everyone else knew all
this?

Decisions on file format standards are of a different scope than decisions
about the direction of an organization, allthough they are remotely related,
the bodies which administrate either should be defined separately.

Agreed.  Which is why I think the LSC proposal should be seperate from
any LDraw.org leadership definitions.

I agree the reference made in my proposal to the 4+1/leadership group might
have complicated things a bit much. I still believe that group needs to be
recognized as the group chartering the LSC's creation. I also believe the
proposal should reference this body as the group responsible for leading
discussion and guiding the formation of a permanent leadership group for
LDraw.org.

Since I don't think of this group as the an official leadership group
for LDraw.org, I don't think the LSC should reference it - I just don't
think it the 4+1 (as a group) has the authority to speak for LDraw.org.

Posting the revision marks was useful. I think your version is too simple
and removes too much of the punch of the LSC, but perhaps my proposal was
too complex. I can draft an in-between version.

Great, looking forward to it :)

Again, this is a draft, hoping to draw comments and discussion about
this committee.  Since this is really the first step twards an official
LDraw.org body, I think it's very important to have the whole community
design it.

Yes, I agree. I also believe strongly we can't undermine the group that's in
place right now, provided they do their job. Once the voting mechanism is in
place, that can prompt further resolutions which move towards a permanent
leadership structure for LDraw.org. Until then, there has to be someone
leading. If we're a committee of the whole, nothing will get done.

Agree that there should be a steering committee.  Just not sure the one
formed 2 years ago as a temporary one is it.

Dan