 CAD / Development / 8823
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:25:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
Here is the draft proposal I mentioned earlier today on LUGNET. I'm posting
it here for everyone to discuss. Several weeks ago, I worked with Kevin
Clague, Larry Pieniazek, Paul Gyugyi, and Wayne Gramlich to draft this up.
Their knowledge and industry experience was invaluable to writing what we
feel is a good proposal.

I think it had many good ideas in it, indeed!

This proposal assumes leadership of LDraw.org (the site, project, etc)is
based on a post made a couple years ago:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=1183 In theory, this is still
true. In practice, we've had many volunteers since then who have helped with
key areas of the LDraw.org project. My feelings are - we have to start
somewhere as our foundation and work from there.

While I agree in general, I think the leadership of LDraw.org should not be
part of this proposal.  The LSC can easily start it's work, while the community
works out the whole official org details.

Another thing to note: The "LDraw" file format is set in stone, and it is
whatever LDraw/LEdit can use. The "LDraw.org" file format is extensible, and
based upon meta-commands. The goal here is to form a direction for the
extension of the LDraw.org file format, and define future standards and formats.

Agreed!

This isn't an "official LDraw.org" proposal, it's a draft. The goal is to
move forward and get closer to acting on a standards committee.

Here's my revision to the draft.  I think it makes it simpler, while retaining
the key details.  If anyone's interested, I can try to post a marked up
version, with the changes underlined.

Again, this is a draft, hoping to draw comments and discussion about this
committee.  Since this is really the first step twards an official LDraw.org
body, I think it's very important to have the whole community design it.

-- Dan

======================================
LDraw.org Standards Committee Proposal
======================================

Draft Version 0.6a
Written by: Dan Boger
Based on draft by: Tim Courtney, Kevin Clague, Wayne Gramlich, Paul Gyugyi,
Larry Pieniazek
April 23, 2003

Preface
=======
This document specifies is a proposal for an LDraw Standards Committee,
presented for discussion and suggestions for improvements from the LDraw
community. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Overview
========
Proposed is a Standards Committee to endorse and shape an Official
LDraw.org file format spec document, consisting of the original LDraw
spec (0.2.7) plus meta-commands developed by various LDraw-compatible
LEGO CAD programs. This group's participants will discuss, recommend, and
adopt community-developed commands as Official LDraw.org standards. The
goal of this body is to foster increased coordination and direction in
our common community effort to develop a better 3D LEGO file format.
This proposal is based on previous industry experience establishing
standards bodies.

Background
==========
The LDraw community has existed as a minimally organized group of users,
programmers, and parts authors since James Jessiman's LDraw became
widely used in the mid 1990's. This community originated solely online
and continues to use the internet as it's primary medium of
communication. LDraw standards have until this point only been
semi-organized as well, with individual leaders in file format issues,
but no defined processes for format evolution. This has caused confusion
among both newcomers and long time participants, and the community
recognizes the need for a group charged with adopting official standards
and publishing official documentation.

Detail
======

Responsibilities of the Standards Committee
The LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) will be responsible for
maintaining semi-regular internal discussions on pending file format
issues, the overall progress of the LDraw file format and new or
proposed developments made by different LDraw-based software authors.
Initially, this group will be responsible for developing their own
internal procedures on how to process and vote on proposals and how to
write and publish documentation. The Committee will also be responsible
for updating the greater LDraw community periodically of progress within
the group. The Standards Committee will adopt new official standards by
presenting them to the community to vote, then tallying and publishing
the results of the vote, and publish documentation on LDraw.org
following such a decision. The LSC will document past, current and
future LDraw File Formats.

Procedures
----------
The procedures shall be determined by the initial membership of the LSC.
Some suggested items to attend to are:

- Call for discussion on a proposal
- Call for a decision on a recommendation
- Drafting, reviewing, and publishing spec documents
- Procedure for filling an early vacancy of a member
- Community voting
- Appointing sub-committees
- Number of vacant seats in future elections (minimum shall be 5)

Voting
------
Each LDraw.org member can cast one (1) vote on any issue presented to
the community for a vote.

Membership
----------
Membership of the LSC shall initially be set to 5 people. The LSC
members vote to increase or reduce vacancies for a future election.

Membership of LDraw.org will be open to anyone who wants to participate.

Requirements for LSC Membership
-------------------------------
To ensure only competent, dedicated, and active contributors become
members of the LSC, they shall have met one or more of the following
requirements:

- Authored at least two LDraw parts subsequently released in an Official
  LDraw.org Parts Update
- Served as a reviewer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official
  parts updates, and posted at least 5 reviews per update
- Authored a software program that is compliant with either the LDraw
  0.2.7 spec or another spec published by the LSC

LSC Discussion
only members can post to, but the entire community can read. This allows
the community to keep tabs on what is being discussed, and discuss LSC
issues in public forums such as LUGNET's CAD.* groups. The LSC should
encourage this discussion, and should draw ideas and suggestions from
non-LSC members in the community, ensuring everyone's voice is heard.
The LSC will be responsible to present proposed standards to the
community to vote on.

Annual Summary
--------------
The members of the LSC will be responsible for publishing an annual
summary to the community following elections for the next year's
term. This document must be published several weeks before elections,
on the first of July of that year. This summary shall outline the
progress of the previous term, note all versions of the spec ratified
during the term, and summarize the future goals and ideas of the
current LSC members.

Determining LSC Membership
==========================
This proposal does not split the issue of determining membership into
two phases. The Initial Charter Term will be selected just like any
Subsequent Terms.

Terms on the Standards Committee shall last one year.

The LDraw community should start nominating qualified members to the
Standards Committee on July 1, 2003. Each subsequent call for
nominations will be issued on the first day of July of that year.
Nominations must be received and recorded by the 15th of July. Elections
will be held on the 20th of July.

Elections
---------
The LDraw.org Members will vote on the nominees by privately listing the
five (5) nominees they select for the position. Votes will be received
and tallied by Steve Bliss and Tim Courtney, who will be accountable to
each other for accuracy. The 1st LSC will consist of no more than 5
people, however the LSC will be able to modify the number of seats to be
filled at a future election if they wish.

Election will be announced within 5 days of the election, on or
before July 25.

Inauguration
Elected members of the LSC will take office on August 15. This gives
downtime between elections on July 20th for outgoing members and
incoming members to discuss the published Annual Report and ensure a
smooth transition.