 CAD / Development / 8836
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 05:16:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:

Here's how I see it: if we reduce the requirements to guidelines, then who
decides when we want to bend the rules? That opens it up to politics. By
having defined guidelines, we have a standard people must meet, and then
decisions on who is able to run for LSC membership aren't decided individually.

This is a tough call. I think there need to be some minimum standards, so
that we only have technically capable people on the LSC. I'm torn on this
issue. Other input?

Not to overcomplexify but perhaps two nomination paths? One path if you are
qualified under the criteria given already, and another, petition based, in
which some number of qualified people vouched for you as a viable candidate?

That sounds good to me. If someone can further think this through, I can
include it in a re-draft of the proposal sometime in the future.

-Tim

How about this:

Requirements for LSC Membership
To ensure only competent, dedicated, and active contributors become members
of the LSC, they shall have met one or more of the following requirements:

- Authored an LDraw part subsequently released in an Official LDraw.org
Parts Update
- Served as a reviewer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official
parts updates, and posted at least 5 reviews per update
- Authored a software program that is compliant with either the LDraw .2.7
spec or another spec published by the LSC
- Been nominated for membership by at least 2 members of the current LSC

Two thoughts:
I think 2 nominations is sufficient but maybe 3 would be prudent as it would
represent a majority of the members of the LSC

Dan suggested making the requirement of part authoring be 2 parts instead of
1.  I'm leaning toward agreeing.

-Orion
-Orion