 CAD / Development / 8833
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 01:30:50 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 08:25:01PM +0000, Dan Boger wrote:
Here's my revision to the draft.  I think it makes it simpler, while • retaining
the key details.  If anyone's interested, I can try to post a marked up
version, with the changes underlined.

here's a (manually) marked up version:

  http://peeron.com/tmp/lsc06a.html

Dan

I have been watching this thread from the sidelines.  While I use a number
of the tools (notably ML-CAD, L3P, L3PAO, LDAO, and LPub) I would not
consider myself active in the L-DRAW community per se.  But I do have a
vested interest so I personally want to see things move forward.

I read Dan's markup.  Then I went back and re-read Tim Courtney's proposal:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=2304

Then I looked at Dan's mark up again.  I have to say that I disagree
strongly with Dan's suggestion to put everything up for community vote.  My
gut reaction was that it will take forever to reach agreement on anything if
everyone who has an interest has a vote.

Fledgling volunteer organizations need to get off the ground and to do so
efficiently and in a timely manner, someone has to essentially pick up the
ball and run with it.  Tim and a few others have done just that.  They took
the intiative to do something that many people have talked about, griped
about, whined about, etc.  I think they have earned the right to kick the
process off simply based on the efforts they have put forward to date.  Some
people may feel left out or question decisions that are being made but in
order to make progress, you have to start somewhere.  It has been my
experience (both at work and other volunteer efforts) that a small working
group of people (between 5 and 7 members) can have discussion and debate and
reach decisions far more efficiently than a large group can.

I'd suggest sticking with Tim's proposal and start the ball moving forward.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com