 CAD / Development / 8839
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:14:49 GMT

How about this:

Requirements for LSC Membership
To ensure only competent, dedicated, and active contributors become members
of the LSC, they shall have met one or more of the following requirements:

- Authored an LDraw part subsequently released in an Official LDraw.org
Parts Update
- Served as a reviewer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official
parts updates, and posted at least 5 reviews per update
- Authored a software program that is compliant with either the LDraw .2.7
spec or another spec published by the LSC
- Been nominated for membership by at least 2 members of the current LSC

Two thoughts:
I think 2 nominations is sufficient but maybe 3 would be prudent as it would
represent a majority of the members of the LSC

Dan suggested making the requirement of part authoring be 2 parts instead of
1.  I'm leaning toward agreeing.

This is more what I was considering... a way for those who may or may not have
been authoring Lego Parts to get a chance to be on the standards body. After
all, its possible, but unlikely that another use for the program could
overshadow the Lego use of this program in the not so distant future.

I personally would prefer to see at least two instead of just one, as even if
you have never made a single Lego part, and your SERIOUS about wanting your
voice heard, you could always review some parts, (Side question, how often are
parts updates? if only like once a year, it would REALLY require some
commitment to meet that one), to make sure you qualify, showing that you not
only have the skills, but also the time and ambition to do the job.

As to earlier responses that said something to the effect, "we have not limited
it to JUST Lego parts/people".  No, you have not forbade anyone from making
Lego parts and submitting/reviewing. But if I had interest in the K'Nex library
and had made a dozen or so K'Nex Minifigs, but had little to no interest in the
Legos... Your orginal guidelines failed to address someone with that kind of
talent and would have, perhaps without meaning to, left that person out in the
cold.

This revision, addresses that, in that anyone with SKILL, not Lego pegs on his
belt can get in. :-)

As I said before... feel free to ask for a refund on my two cents worth, I am
only putting out my opinion here.

Dwayne Miller
Barberton, Ohio