 CAD / Development / 7133
Re: Why Type 5 Lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:58:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald wrote:

Looking at the code below I don't actually see the Z buffer offset being used,
but the one thing I did notice in the above paragraph is that he suggests
switching the culling of the wireframe copy of the geometry.

One problem: transparent surfaces would show the wireframe backside. :\

Actually, transparent surface should work fine.  As long as they are set to
write to the Z buffer when drawn, and their outlines are drawn with Z buffer
testing enabled, they should work fine.  The wireframe parts that aren't
supposed to be visible won't be drawn in the first place (which is actually
the same thing that happens for the opaque portions).

The backside wireframe elements *will* be drawn, that's the point of
what Kyle was talking about.  The idea is to draw the wireframe of the
backside surfaces and it will all be hidden by the frontside surfaces,
*except* for the lines around the outlines of the objects.

Except that transparent frontside surfaces will reveal the wireframe
backsides.

Steve