 CAD / Development / 7136
Re: Alternate Type 5 line algorithm and other BFC questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:24:42 GMT

[snip]

> Normally you don't bother to enable Z buffer writing when drawing the
> transparent surfaces, because they are the last thing drawn, and it won't
> matter.  However, it doesn't hurt anything to enable it, other than slowing
> it down a little.  And if you want to use this algorithm, it has to be enabled.

Hmmm. I'd love to be able to answer this question for sure.

I implemented this logic in my J3d code last night, and I can see examples
where it works very well. Unfortunately I don't have all the rest of the BFC
logic quite right yet so I have many polygons facing the wrong way and therefore
the wireframes are also showing. So right now I know I see many extra lines,
wether ornot they'll all be fixed by the proper BFC logic I don't know.

I think Travis may be right if he has that level of control over when the
Z buffer is used, and what order the filled/wire polygons are drawn. I'll
have to dig deeper into J3D to see if I have the same conrtol. I know I can
get it to do both retained, and immediate (and mixed mode) rendering, so
something may be possible.

Actually this brings me to a new question...
Previously I posted this pseudo code for the BFC logic, I didn't get
any "Hey that's wrong!"'s so Im guessing it's correct. Assuming it is,
can anyone give me an example of pseudo code for the isMirrorMatrix()
function? My Linear Algebra/Matrix Math is a little fuzzy.

if( preceeding_line == '0 BFC INVERTNEXT' ) then
     {
       if( ! isMirrorMatrix( matrix ))   \\ Not mirrored so *do* the INVERTNEXT.
         flip_faces( sub_file );
       else
         do_nothing();                  \\  Mirroring alreay inverts the subfile
                                         \\ so ignore the INVERTNEXT
     }
else
     {
       if( isMirrorMatrix( matrix ))   \\  Not inverted, but mirrored, so *undo*
         flip_faces( sub_file );        \\ the inversion the mirror matrix caused.
       else
         do_nothing();                  \\ Not inverted, not mirrored, do nothing.
     }

attach_geometry(matrix, sub_file);

--
                                    _