 CAD / Development / 7126
Re: Why Type 5 Lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:21:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald writes:
Well, I believe that there is something called a 'Z offset' that can
be used not to actually move the geometry, but to make sure the lines
appear 'on top' of the faces.

That sounds like glPolygonOffset which would be part of the solution
because it allows the edges to look clean.  We all use that already.

I have some Java3D code, and sample pics that were done using
this technique. I can mail them to anyone interested, but I don't
think it would be nice to send them to the whole mailing list. The
object in the pics is basically one large mesh (array of strips?)
The pics show that the outlines are drawn on the fly for the shape as
the viewing angle changes.

I still don't have the geometry setup in strips and fans enough to
try to see if this will work for me or not. I expect that it may
remove some of the edges, but it may also prove impossible to stripify
all the polgyons that need to be (without inlining them on the fly)
and therefore we may end up with undesirable lines where a fan meets
a strip, etc.

I can see how you might accomplish some of that by manipulating
glEdgeFlag when you define your strips, and then redrawing with
GL_POLYGON_MODE set to GL_LINE, but I still don't see how it
produces the equivalent of type 5 lines.  Maybe if you get the
stencil buffer involved?  Beats me...

Don