 CAD / Development / 7125
Re: Why Type 5 Lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:46:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald writes:
Well, I believe that there is something called a 'Z offset' that can
be used not to actually move the geometry, but to make sure the lines
appear 'on top' of the faces.

OpenGL has glPolygonOffset, which does what you describe by allowing you to
move the polygons further away in the Z direction, where the amount they
move can depend on the slope of the polygon in the Z direction.  This works
great, and I use it in LDView when type 2 lines are enabled.

I think based on your comments further down that Java3D is actually doing
something relatively complicated, though.  I don't think there are any
features of OpenGL that give you outlines nearly for free.  I'll look back
at the wireframe mode setup again, though.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)