 CAD / Development / 7119
Re: Why Type 5 Lines?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:30:19 GMT

"Orion" <pobursky@hotmail.com> writes:

What is the point of Type 5 lines?  It seems to me that they are a
confusing and clunky method to display lines for the visible edges
of rounded objects when having no line at all would be just as
visually correct (and less taxing on the brain to figure out how to
use them correctly).  In the age of Windows based LDRAW programs
how useful is this line type?

On the contrary, I think that type-5 lines are very useful, and an
interesting solution.  They are a nice way to make sure that rounded
objects are outlined with a contrasting colour, no matter where the
viewpoint is.  The rendering of cylinders and spheres is greatly
enhanced byt type-5 lines, I think.  You can try yourself to view
objects with or without type-5 lines in L3Lab.  Use the menu under
"View".

Of course, for raytraced "photographic" style images, these lines are
not necessary.  But for LDLITE style instruction diagrams, I think
they are crucial.

By the way, is the "type-5" solution a common one in the CAD world, or
was it sort of invented by Jessiman?  I don't know enough about CAD to
answer this myself.

Fredrik