 CAD / Development / 5475
Re: Patterned Parts Numbering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:48:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

How about replacing the .dat extension with the pattern number for these
filenames?  (Something like 3626bp.101)

I'd rather not encode file-nameish data into the file-extension.  That
feels like a bad thing to do -- extensions indicate the *type* of file, not
the specific file.

True, but since these are merely parts files and as such will reside in the
LDRAW\PARTS directory, I think the *type* of file will be obvious.  I agree
this certainly feels like a "bad thing" at first, but it does give you a lot
more characters to work with in the filename without sacrificing compatibility.

I realize that "DAT" is not the greatest extension in the world, as it's
far too generic.  But, it's better than not having a recognizable filetype
extension at all.

Yes, but do you really need the DAT extension on ALL the parts files? I think
it's much more important to have it on the model files which are what most
people are sharing.  I guess it comes down to how often do people doubleclick
on a part file (or drag it into an app) versus a model file?  I don't think
clicking on the [DAT] link on lugnet counts since that uses CGI rather than
the file extension to convey content type?

Don

Don