 CAD / Development / 5450
Re: Patterned Parts Numbering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:33:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
Longer term, we are going to need a different, better solution for this.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I can't remember the last time "dropping DOS support" came up, but it seems
like a very long time ago!  Is "real DOS" (not real-mode DOS :o) still really
something that needs to be supported?  I understand that DOS as a filesystem
format needs to be supported, but since Micros~1 added the ~ thingie in file
names, "DOS" (e.g., pre-NTFS Windows) could support long filenames.

Does anyone still use an old version of PKZIP that won't support filenames
longer than 8.3?

Does anyone still run DOS the OS?  (Meaning real, actual DOS -- like 5.0,
etc.)

Don't LDRAW and LEDIT run in "real DOS" mode?  They won't understand
the long filenames even if you run them from within windows.  I'm pretty
sure some folks still use LEDIT.

How about replacing the .dat extension with the pattern number for these
filenames?  (Something like 3626bp.101)

Don