 CAD / Development / 5463
Re: Patterned Parts Numbering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:23:36 GMT

Hello Tore!

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson writes:

Carsten Schmitz wrote:

Sooner or later you will have to make concessions to this point of view
because its not possible to ignore the growing numbers of new parts.

Greetings,

Carsten

Oh, you mean that a DOS directory is limited to a specific number of files? I • recall that Norton Commander 5.0 for DOS
is limited to, I think it was 2000 files...

No. FAT16 has only limitations in the root directory for maximum number of
files. That NC was limited to 2000 files was a memory allocation problem.

What I meant was:

1) The first problem with the too long filenames because part-numbers are
getting longer, so more and more parts won't get their right numbers.

2) Additionally a space problem with FAT16. With every file written to a (lets
say) 500 MB Harddisk about 8-16 kb are wasted for file allocation. Because of
the fact that we have many single files the problem is getting with every part
bigger.

I don't have a quite right all-in-one idea what to do.

But from my point of view one thing is for sure:
If you would like to solve this problem at the root you have to leave some
antics behind.

Without that the best and most smooth solution would be to get access to the
old source code of LDraw but obviously it doesn't exist anymore (really?)

This is my personal point of view.

Live long and prosper,

Carsten