 CAD / Development / 5466
Re: Patterned Parts Numbering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:12:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:

Longer term, we are going to need a different, better solution for this.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Sidestepping various landmines, two ideas that come to mind for addressing
this issue:

1. Allow letters in pattern id's, to increase the number of 2-digit from
100 to 1296.  This could work, but would make recognition of patterned
element files more difficult.  Most of these difficulties could be worked
out by only allowing some of the 26 letters.  Which would lower the total
number of possible id's.

And of course, some existing files don't follow current, newer naming
conventions.

2. Use a meta-statement (or two) to link patterned elements back to their
base element.  We could continue to use the pXX notation when possible, but
it wouldn't be a requirement.

One attractive benefit of this idea is that we could stop releasing
double-files for patterned elements, at least in some cases.  We could
instead just release a file with the known official part number, and
meta-link that part back to the base part.

One downside of this idea is that the patterned parts wouldn't sort close
together, when parts.lst is sorted by number.

Steve